Thursday, July 2, 2009

One of THOSE days!

Do you ever have "one of those days" where nothing goes as planned? I am having such a day! First of all I was woken up at 6AM by my doorbell. My neighbor says to me "You need to come see your car". As I dressed I thought about what I would find outside. A broken window? Graffiti? No. It was a smashed in back end. The car was not only bashed in but had moved all the way into another parking spot! Someone had apparently tried to turn around in our parking lot and smashed into my car plus two others. The other two neighbors that were affected gathered around and did the usual thing: took pictures, called the police, and discussed at great length what we thought might have happened. A high speed car chase? A drunk driver? Fortunately for us a dog walker guy came over from across the parking lot. He said he heard the crash and saw the car that hit us. He even had a license plate number for us. Yeah! When the police officer finally showed up, we had some EVIDENCE! The officer took all our info and then was off to locate the suspect car. The last update I heard was that the car (no driver) was located several blocks away. Parked in front of the registered owners apartment! Uh, WTF? Apparently our suspect was even more stupid than we thought. Seems like he drove home and parked? We don't know yet if the driver was the registered owner. Still waiting to hear if the driver was located. Hopefully he has insurance because he is going to need it!

After that excitement, I came to find out that my friend who was going to be flying into Seattle for the weekend, was sick. So under DR's orders, the trip is cancelled. I am bummed as I had some fun plans for us this weekend. It couldn't be helped but it was Bummer #2 for the morning and it was only 7AM!

I spent the morning dealing with insurance and police all the while trying to work. It was an unusually busy day at work so that was unexpected. I had to forge through it as best I could. By about 2PM I was hungry and decided to stop to make some lunch. I decided to cook some corn on the cob and had a large pot boiling on the stove when another of my neighbors stopped by to inquire about the smashed up car. As I was talking to her, a small gust of wind slammed my front door shut, locking me outside without keys, shoes or my phone. Bummer #3! I knew that my upstairs deck door was unlocked so my neighbor helped me locate a ladder and we tried to get to the deck from that. Doing this entailed a barefoot walk across some really HOT blacktop, through the prickly brush and dried grass and over some very small, sharp rockery! Unfortunately my fear of heights kicked in (or maybe my fear of rickety, lightweight ladders!) and I couldn't get up the ladder far enough to haul my butt over the railing. Yikes - what to do! In the end, my other neighbor (who is also the President of the HOA) came to my rescue. He actually had a spare key from the last owner of my condo. So I was able to get in and save my kitchen from imminent cooking disaster!

What a frustrating day. I am ready for it to be over! As a Professional Organizer I am very scheduled. I make to-do lists and I make plans. None of this was on the calendar today! So what did I learn? I am going to have to think about that and get back to you!

No comments: