Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Car-less in Seattle

Since getting my car smashed in by a hit and run driver on Wednesday, I have had a good opportunity to take the Metro Bus around town. I am actually getting to feel like a pro! Seattle has a pretty good bus system so once you figure out the routes, you can get anywhere! It's cheaper than parking - and less frustrating. I don't think I'll ever attempt to drive and park for any sporting event again, now that I know I can get a stress free ride to the front door of any stadium - for $2.00! In case you are thinking of also "going green" and riding the bus, I decided to list some of the tips I've learned for becoming a "seasoned" bus rider in Seattle. Maybe it will help you?

1. Use the King County Metro website "Trip Planner". http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U. Just plug in your address and your destination and it will tell you which bus(es) to take!
2. Have correct change handy (or buy a bus pass, it saves you money and you don't have to constantly hunt for correct change)! It's $1.50 - $2.00 depending on time of day.
3. Wear comfortable shoes, you have no idea when you might have to "run for it"!
4. Bring a book, this helps to avoid "eye contact" of people who want to sit with you and/or strike up an unwanted conversation. And of course, reading is fundamental... you might learn something?!
5. People will stink... so get used to it. Learn that it is OK to change seats or move away.
6. Buses start and stop... a LOT! So you may find yourself sliding around on the seat a LOT. Until you get your "sea legs" try sitting next to the window as there is a foot rest under the seat that will help you hold your position better.
7. Re-think your accessories. If you are like me and you have a purse, laptop and possibly a gym bag and/or grocery bag... it can start to get a little cumbersome. Combine: Find a good laptop bag with a long, durable shoulder strap that has enough room to hold your wallet and other personal items. Wear this over the shoulder and across the chest for maximum comfort (and safety from would be purse snatchers). I happened to find a great messenger bag at a thrift store - designer label, red and black leather, lined, with great pockets for keeping personal items organized!

I am sure I will think of more tips as the days go by. My car is in the shop and will probably be there for another two weeks! Almost $7,000 in damages on top of that - yikes! Hopefully the police were able to track the driver down (a witness got the license plate) and hopefully he has insurance! I have to get a copy of the incident report to find out - which is another "process" altogether. I am sure I'll blog about that exercise in frustration as soon as I go thru it!

No comments: